For diabetics, a healthy diet along with exercise is key to healthy living.
Diabetic Diet meal plans
Eating regimented meals that contain wholesome meals thrice a day is very beneficial. The meal plan is based on 60% calories from carbohydrates, 20% from proteins, 10% from fats or oils and 10% portions of fruits and vegetables per day.
After wake up: A glass of lukewarm water followed by 4 almonds (soak 6-8 hrs.) + 2 walnuts + Methi 1 spoon (soaked 12 hours) + juice (bitter gourd (karela)/ Indian gooseberry (amla) / cucumber / tomato)
Breakfast: Any small quantity of cereal based snacks (Rice flour / Moong dal flour / Ragi flour / Jowar flour / combination of any of these flours) with milk.
Mid-morning: fruits in small quantity + soup
Lunch: A large bowl of salad made up of all the raw vegetables in season. The salad may be followed by a whole meal like Rice/ roti / phulka / chapati (red rice, barley, moong dal, ragi, millet, combination of any of these) + lightly cooked vegetables + a glass of butter-milk
Mid-afternoon: A glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice
Dinner: A large bowl of salad made up of all the raw or steamed form vegetables in season. The salad may be followed by a whole meal like roti / phulka / chapati (red rice, barley, moong dal, ragi, millet, combination of any of these) + lightly cooked vegetables sabzi
Bedtime Snack: A glass of fresh milk
|Grains like red rice, wheat, barley, sooji, oatmeal, millet, barley||Use old grains|
|Cereal and pulses like green gram, horse gram, ground nut, lentil, Bengal gram (chick pea), and split green gram.|
|Green leafy Vegetable like Amaranthus, Spinach, fenugreek leaves, mint.||Always eat fresh Green leafy Vegetable|
|Vegetable like Snake gourd, Bottle gourd, onion, knol-knol, bitter gourd, Green Pumpkin, Ridge gourd, snake gourd, ivy gourd. Drum sticks, tomato, cucumber, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower.||Always eat fresh Vegetable|
|Fruits like Pomegranate, Sweet Lime, Apple, Pear, Orange, Papaya, Jamun, Guava, Water melon, Musk melon, Amla (Indian Gooseberry), black plum, peaches, pears, kiwi, berries, cranberry, avocados, kokum fruit, wood apple.||Always eat fresh fruits Do not eat mixture of milk and fruits like fruit salad, milkshake, ice-cream, etc. Do not eat fruits immediately after meals|
|Dry fruits like Almonds, Brazil nuts, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, Walnuts, Indian fig, dried apricots, raisins.||Do not eat dry fruits immediately after meals|
|Chia seeds, Flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, lily seeds, Lotus seeds Turmeric, cinnamon, mustard, coriander pepper, asafoetida, Fenugreek, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, curry leaves|
Tips for Readers
- One teaspoon of methi seeds soaked overnight in 100 ml of water is very effective in controlling diabetes.
- Drink tomato juice with salt and pepper ever morning on an empty stomach.
- Intake of 6 almonds (soaked overnight) is also helpful in keeping a check on diabetes.
- Follow healthy lifestyle and seasonal diet.
- Use complete (wholesome) meal.
- Do not eat too slow or too fast.
- Always take fresh foods.
- Every day go for exercise, walking, and sun exposure.
- Avoid day sleep, sedentary life, controlling the urges, sitting in water for long time.
Avoid the following
- Avoid products of Besan, Maida like bread, biscuits, cake etc.
- Avoid spicy and fried food.
- Avoid products that have mixture of milk and fruits like fruit salad, milkshake, ice-cream, etc.
- Avoid fruits like pineapple, grapes, mango, chickoo (sapota), grapes, sweet potato, potato.
- Avoid sweet, sour, and salty foods like tamarind, ripened banana, cold drinks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat), and heavy, oily and spicy foods.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners, jams, jellies and syrups, sugar-free candies, gelatins.
This article was published in the August 2019, Volume 15, Issue-4 of Heritage Amruth magazine, the magazine on Natural Healthcare brought out by Medplan Conservatory Society (MCS), the publication unit of FRLHT-TDU, Bangalore.