A Nutritional Diet for Diabetics
For diabetics, a healthy diet along with exercise is key to healthy living.
Diabetic Diet Meal Plans
Eating regimented meals that contain wholesome meals thrice a day is very beneficial. The meal plan is based on 60% calories from carbohydrates, 20% from proteins, 10% from fats or oils, and 10% portions of fruits and vegetables per day.
After Waking Up: A glass of lukewarm water followed by 4 Almonds (soak 6-8 hrs.) + 2 Walnuts + Methi 1 spoon (soaked 12 hours) + Juice (Bitter Gourd (Karela)/ Indian Gooseberry (Amla) / Cucumber / Tomato)
Breakfast: Any small quantity of cereal-based snacks (Rice Flour / Moong Dal Flour / Ragi Flour / Jowar Flour/ combination of any of these flours) with Milk.
Mid-morning: fruits in small quantity + soup
Lunch: A large bowl of salad made up of all the raw vegetables in season. The salad may be followed by a whole meal, like Rice/ Roti / Phulka / Chapati (Red Rice, Barley, Moong Dal, Ragi, Millet, combination of any of these) + lightly cooked vegetables + a glass of Buttermilk
Mid-afternoon: A glass of fresh fruit or vegetable juice
Dinner: A large bowl of salad made up of all the raw or steamed form vegetables in season. The salad may be followed by a whole meal like Roti / Phulka / Chapati (Red Rice, Barley, Moong Dal, Ragi, Millet, combination of any of these) + lightly cooked vegetables sabzi.
Bedtime Snack: A glass of fresh milk
Grains like red Rice, Wheat, Barley, Sooji, Oatmeal, Millet, Barley.
Cereal and pulses like Green Gram, Horse Gram, Ground Nut, Lentils, Bengal Gram (Chick Pea), and Split Green Gram.
Green Leafy vegetables like Amaranthus, Spinach, Fenugreek leaves, Mint.
Vegetables like Snake Gourd, Bottle Gourd, Onion, Knol-Knol, Bitter Gourd, Green Pumpkin, Ridge Gourd, Snake Gourd, Ivy Gourd. Drum Sticks, Tomato, Cucumber, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower.
Fruits like Pomegranate, Sweet Lime, Apple, Pear, Orange, Papaya, Jamun, Guava, Water Melon, Musk Melon, Amla (Indian Gooseberry), Black Plum, Peaches, Pears, Kiwi, Berries, Cranberry, Avocados, Kokum fruit, Wood Apple.
Dry fruits like Almonds, Brazil nuts, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, Walnuts, Indian fig, dried Apricots, Raisins.
Chia seeds, Flax seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Sunflower seeds, Lily seeds, Lotus seeds Turmeric, Cinnamon, Mustard, Coriander, Pepper, Asafoetida, Fenugreek, Ginger, Garlic, Cumin seeds, Curry leaves.
Use old grains.
Always eat fresh Green leafy Vegetables.
Always eat fresh Vegetables.
Always eat fresh fruits Do not eat mixture of milk and fruits like fruit salad, milkshake, ice cream, etc. Do not eat fruits immediately after meals.
Do not eat dry fruits immediately after meals.
Tips for Readers
- One teaspoon of Methi seeds soaked overnight in 100 ml of water is very effective in controlling diabetes.
- Drink Tomato juice with salt and pepper every morning on an empty stomach.
- Intake of 6 almonds (soaked overnight) is also helpful in keeping a check on diabetes.
- Follow a healthy lifestyle and seasonal diet.
- Use a complete (wholesome) meal.
- Do not eat too slow or too fast.
- Always take fresh foods.
- Everyday exercise, walking, and sun exposure.
- Avoid day sleep, sedentary life, controlling the urges, sitting in water for a long time.
Avoid the Following
- Avoid products of Besan, Maida like Bread, Biscuits, Cake, etc.
- Avoid spicy and fried food.
- Avoid products that have a mixture of Milk and fruits like fruit salad, milkshake, ice cream, etc.
- Avoid fruits like Pineapple, Grapes, Mango, Chickoo (sapota), Grapes, Sweet Potato, Potato.
- Avoid sweet, sour, and salty foods like Tamarind, ripened banana, cold drinks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia (taro), yams, fresh grains and pulses (legumes), whole yogurt (high in fat), and heavy, oily, and spicy foods.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners, jams, jellies, and syrups, sugar-free candies, gelatins.
The copyright of this article is owned by I-AIM
The Institute of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine (I-AIM) was established in 2011. It is a part and parcel of the FRLHT trust founded by Sam Pitroda and Darshan Shankar. It is a high quality 100 bed, integrative healthcare hospital … Read More