Abhyanga - Self Massage Technique
- The self-massage only takes about 10-15 minutes.
- If you feel you don’t have that much time, you can start out just doing your head and your feet, which should only take about 3-4 minutes.
- Place a bottle of massage oil into a container of hot water to warm it.
- Lie quietly and breathe deeply for a few minutes before the massage, while the massage oil is warming.
- It is best to place a towel underneath you during the massage to catch any oil that drips.
- When you are ready to massage, pour some oil into your palm and rub your hands together to spread and warm the oil, and energize your hands.
- Pour some oil on your scalp and massage in circular motions using the ball of your palms.
- Apply to your nostrils and ears.
- Massage your forehead and temples in gentle circular motions, massaging the temples helps relieve stress.
- Gently rub your face.
- Gently knead neck up and down.
- Massage throat in an upward direction only.
- Massage arms and legs up and down the length of them.
- Use circular motion at the major joints such as the shoulder, elbows, and knees.
- Massage the chest, breasts, and abdomen in a clockwise direction using the palm.
- Massage hips and buttocks.
- Knead the soles of the feet, then the back of the feet, massage around your toes with your fingers, spend a little extra time on any areas that have hardened, they will soften over time if you do this regularly.
- Knead the palms, then backs of hands.
- After completion, rest quietly for several minutes.
- Then remove excess oil so that the body does not ingest the remaining oil with body toxins in it.
- Shower with warm water.
- Cleanses the body by flushing toxins and impurities.
- Stimulates the immune system.
- Promotes free flow of energies.
- Helps prevent the accumulation of physiological imbalances.
- Rejuvenates both the mind and body.
- Lubricates and promotes flexibility of joints, muscles, and tissues.
- Rejuvenates the skin, promotes softness and luster.
- Promotes youthfulness.
- Invigorates the nervous system.
- Strengthens endocrine systems through stimulation of the vital points (marmas).
- Protects the cutaneous nerves throughout the skin that connect to every part of the body.
The copyright of this article belongs to Dr. Shekhar Annambhotla