About 70% of the population, nowadays, is suffering from digestive issues and Ayurveda believes that almost all of the diseases are directly or indirectly related to disturbed digestion and once your metabolism is disturbed, the immune system of the body slows down, inviting many diseases in our body.
Many people come to us and talk about their digestive concerns such as:
– Gastric Reflux
– Weight gain
– Low appetite
The root cause behind all these concerns is your digestive fire, which is affected by the imbalances of your body type (Dosha).
As it is said that, every person is different from the other person and so is their digestion, some may be comfortable with cold water whereas others feel sick with it. Some people need to eat food throughout the day, in order to stay active, while others feel lazy after eating. This all depends on your body type (dosha). The problem starts when one is not able to recognize himself/herself and eat against their body type, which their body does not accept, resulting in the above-mentioned symptoms and further leading to chronic disorders.
Ayurveda has answers to all the questions related to your gut health. Ayurveda is the only solution to all the problems related to digestion.
The digestive fire in Vata body type is unpredictable. Sometimes it is good and the food you eat is easily digested but sometimes it can cause symptoms like bloating, gas, Constipation, etc.
People eating more of the following food suffer from these concerns:
– Cold food like Salads, Smoothies, Popcorn
– Uncooked food
– Bitter, Pungent and Astringent tastes
– Cold water
– Water directly after meals
The digestive fire for Pitta body type is very strong and the food is quickly digested. Hunger is not resistible in people with pitta body type. Pitta imbalance can cause diarrhoea, Heartburn, gastric reflux.
People eating more of the following food suffer from pitta type digestive problems:
– Fried food
– Excessive hot, spicy food including Ginger, Garlic, Onion, etc.
– Sour taste (Lime, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Berries)
– Drinking less water
– Excessive Alcohol
The digestive fire for Kapha body type is very slow. It takes a lot of time to digest your meals. Imbalance can cause sluggishness, lack of energy, weight gain, low appetite.
People with the following eating habits are more prone to Kapha type digestive problems:
– Eating heavy meals
– More of sweet, salty & sour tastes
– Eating more often
– Oily, unctuous food
– Dairy products
– Excess proteins
Eating according to your dosha’s (body type) and getting rid of the Ama (toxins) is the only solution to these problems.
VATA: Vata signifies cold, dry, light In order to balance vata one should eat food that is:
– Food should be warm, cooked, and heavy.
– Sweet, salty & sour tastes should be added to the meals.
– Food should be properly cooked with oils or ghee.
– Warm spices should be added
– One should restrict cold, raw, bitter, astringent, and spicy food.
– Direct intake of water before or after meals should also be restricted.
PITTA: As qualities of Pitta resemble that of fire. So one with pitta imbalance should eat
– Raw, heavy, cool is good for pitta body type.
– Avoid spicy, salty, sour food.
– Bitter, sweet & astringent tastes are good for pitta.
– Avoid fasting and keep your stomach filled when you feel hungry.
– Take cooling spices like; fennel, coriander, mint.
KAPHA: Kapha signifies cold and slow. So digestive fire of Kapha body type is very slow and takes time to digest the food. Kapha type digestive fire can be maintained by eating
– Warm, dry, and light meals.
– Eat only when you feel hungry.
– Ginger, a few lemon drops, and a rock salt drink can help to boost up the digestive fire.
– Avoid dairy products.
– Avoid sweets, sour, and salty tastes.
– Bitter, astringent & pungent tastes are good to have.
PERFECT TIME TO EAT:
– It is very important to eat your meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) nearly at the same time every day.
– Eat only when you feel hungry.
– Lunch should always be between 12-2 pm as at this time the digestive fire is very strong.
– Dinner should always be before 8 pm or 3 hours before you sleep.
– Always eat in a settled environment by concentrating only on eating.
– APPITIZER DRINK : In order to increase your appetite one can have an appetizer drink. Add 2-3 spoons of plain yogurt to a glass of water. Add a pinch of cumin powder and salt to it. Stir it well. This is a healthy drink to increase your appetite & is highly recommended in summer.